Imam Muhammad ‘Ali Al-Sabuni is one of the leading scholars of Sunni Islam in the modern era. A specialist in the knowledge of Tafsir (Exegesis of the Holy Quran), he has authored one of the most widely accepted Tafsirs of the Qur’an entitled Safwat al-Tafaasir (The Choicest Selections from the Books of Exegesis).
Since its publication in 1978 and with more depth than the renowned Tafsir al-Jalalayn, Safwat al-tafaasir has quickly become the celebrated tafsir for beginners.
It is recommended in Islamic Seminaries worldwide as a reliable reference point to acquire the orthodox Sunni understanding of the Quran.
It includes as an appendix, glimpses of notable Tafsir. A brief summary of the following nine famous and well-known Tafaasir
- Al-Qurtubi’s : Tafsir Al-Qurtubi
- Al-Baydawi’s : Tafsir Al-Baydawi
- Ibn JuzayAl-Kabi’s : Tashil li ‘Ulum al-Tanzil
- Abu Hayyyan al-Andalusi’s : Bahr al-Muhit
- Ibn Kathir’s : Tafsir Qur’an Al-Azim
- Al-Khazin’s : Tafsir al-Khazin
- Abu Sa’ud’s : Tafsir Abu Sa’ud
- Al-Sawi’s : Hashiyah al-Sawi ‘ala Jalalayn
- Al-Alusi’s : Ruh al-Ma’ani
Shaykh al-Sabuni says about his Tafsir: “It is comprehensive, based on both narrated reports and rational argument, based on the most authentic well known tafaasir such as al-Tabari, al-Kashshaf, Ibn Kathir, al-Bahr al-Muhit and Ruh al-Ma’ani. It is written in a simple style that is easy to understand, paying attention to literary style and linguistic form…. I have called my book Safwat al-Tafaasir (The Best of Tafaasir) because it combines the best of the major detailed tafaasir in a brief, organized and clear fashion.”